International news

CFR Cluj opens football academy in Burkina Faso

28. February 2024
CFR Cluj (foto: Uradni facebook profil kluba)
Cluj, one of Romania's top football clubs, has launched a football academy in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, aiming to discover and develop young talents to be introduced to European football.

Europe's big clubs have long established their football academies in Africa. Now, more and more mid-tier clubs are also "digging" and creating gems from the African continent and bringing them into their ranks. There is no better example than Denmark's Nordsjælland...

Cluj has followed this path! One of Romania's leading clubs has opened an academy in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso. Nelu Varga, the president of the Romanian "railwaymen," is thrilled with the project.

"I own 51 percent of the academy, and the remaining 49 percent is owned by a wonderful man from Burkina Faso, who loves football with the same passion as I do. Our hope is to bring young players, great values, real gems to Cluj, and then sell them to the biggest clubs in Europe," Varga told Romanian media.

He believes this project will propel Cluj to new heights.

"I am convinced that this academy will help us reach the Champions League and that we will win numerous trophies in Romania," emphasized Nelu Varga.

The academy's co-owner is Yakuba Kedraogo, a former colonel and leader of the presidential guard, who later became the Minister of Sports in Burkina Faso.


Nogomania.com
United by football.

Nogomania.com is a premier destination for football enthusiasts, delivering fresh and in-depth content from the heart of the Ex-Yu region's football scene.

COMPANY INFO
TERMS AND CONDITIONS